VLIR-OUS: Scholarships for Flemish and EU-students
A travel grant is a financial sum of EUR1000 awarded to students at a Flemish university or university college so that they can make an individual study trip to a developing country. The study trip must be part of a recognised study component, such as a work placement or a thesis.
The Flemish universities and university colleges are responsible for awarding and administering the grants. VLIR-UOS funds the grants and is responsible for the programme framework.
With travel grants VLIR-UOS aims to give Flemish students the opportunity to get experience on the ground in a developing country within an academic context and so make them aware of development problems in a globalising world.
To be eligible for a travel grant you must meet the following criteria:
You are enrolled at a Flemish university or university college.
You are studying for one of the following degrees:
- professional bachelor's degree
- academic bachelor's degree
- bachelor's degree after bachelor's degree
- master's degree
- master's degree after master's degree
- doctor's degree
If you are studying for a bachelor's degree you should talk with the contact person (institutional coordinator for development cooperation, abbreviated to ICOS) at your university or university college to find out the first term you are eligible for a travel grant.
- You are a Belgian national or a citizen of a member state of the European Union or a member state of the European Free Trade Association (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland).
- Your study at a Flemish university or university college is not part of a European exchange programme (e.g. Erasmus).
- You have never received a VLIR-UOS travel grant in the past.
- During your present studies, you have not received and are not receiving funding from the development cooperation budget (e.g. a VLADOC grant) or a grant for a study trip to a developing country.
A travel grant is in the sum of €1000, regardless of what you actually spend.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.