Visby Program for PhD and post-doctoral studies in Sweden
The programme provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
• PhD studies – two different models of applying. The first model consists of PhD students/candidates applying for one long-term visit (either 6, 9 or 12 months) as part of their PhD studies. The second model consists of candidates applying for a scholarship according to the sandwich model (several shorter visits). The scholarship period for candidates on a sandwich set-up is a maximum 12 months over three years, divided into a maximum of two research visits per year.
• Postdoctoral research – individuals applying for a postdoctoral research long-term visit (6, 9 or 12 months) must be holders of a PhD degree, preferably from 2010 or later.
• Senior scientists – holders of a PhD degree but who do not fit into the category of postdoctoral researchers, above, invited to Sweden for research (6 months maximum).
Only candidates who meet the following criteria can apply:
• PhD student, applying for a part of his/her PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden.
• Postdoctoral researcher, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2010 or later.
• Senior scientists – holders of a PhD degree obtained before 2010 (6 months maximum).
• The scholarship is designed to cover living costs for the scholarship holder. There are no grants for family members. No funding for bench fees is provided.
• The granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended; however it is possible to apply for subsequent funding through a new call for applications.
• PhD students on a sandwich setup are allowed up to two visits per scholarship year.
• In case of a postponed arrival date, the scholarship period can be decreased accordingly.
• There is no travel grant included in scholarship offer.
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
The scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
Insurance Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
SI Network for Future Global Leaders All Swedish Institute scholarship holders are invited to become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders, a network that offers unique opportunities during and after the stay in Sweden. Together with other talented people from all around the world, the scholarship holder is able to take part in a variety of events, exchange ideas and create networks that benefit both to career and personal development.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.