US Financial Aid
Edinburgh Napier University is participating in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program administered by the United States Department of Education. Our school code is G 34184. Federal Direct Stafford Loans are available to eligible students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
Undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as parents of undergraduate students may borrow money for university education.
The Direct Loan Program offers loans to student and parent borrowers with terms and conditions that are virtually identical to loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program. School participation requirements for the Direct Loan Program are similar to the requirements of the FFEL Program.
We recommend that you create a yearly budget prior to departure, and have sufficient funds for accommodation, books, supplies and any other expenses during the first trimester in the event of a delay in your loan (s) arriving from the US. The US Federal Student Aid Budget Calculator can help you work out your expenses.
What is the difference between FFEL Program and the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program?
In the Direct Loan Program, the US Department of Education acts as the lender, providing funds for Stafford loans and PLUS Loans. With FFELP, students chose a bank or lender, and the University then certified that students and parents were eligible for the loans.
If I have previously received a Stafford or PLUS Loan through a lender, do I have to change to the Direct Loan Program?
Yes, all Edinburgh Napier students who wish to take out a Stafford or PLUS Loan will now need to borrow through the Direct Loan Program. You may apply for private (non-federal) loans through the lender of your choosing. We recommend that you apply for federal loans first because generally the rates and terms are more favourable from the federal government than through private education loans.
Please note: You are encouraged to review your debt and only borrow funds that you need. US financial aid awards can be modified, amended or cancelled due to changes in a student's academic, financial or personal circumstances.You have the right to cancel your US loan(s).
After you have ceased enrollment, and before beginning repayment, all US Loan students are required to complete an Exit Counselling session. This can be completed on the National Student Loan Data System website, and takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Your eligibility for US financial aid will be assessed based on the information you provide on your Financial Aid Application (FAFSA).
Four loan options are available for students at Edinburgh Napier University:
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized)_Open to dependent and independent undergraduates, graduate and professional students._This loan is based on financial need as defined by the US Department of Education*. The loan is subsidized, meaning the US government pays the interest while you are studying at least half-time at an eligible institution.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Unsubsidized)_Open to dependent and independent undergraduates, graduate and professional students._This loan is not based on financial need. Student borrowers are responsible for paying the interest from the time the money is disbursed. The interest may be paid as it comes due, or it may be postponed and allowed to accumulate while you are enrolled at least half-time at an eligible institution, during any authorized period of deferment and for the six-month grace period after you leave university or drop below half-time enrolment.
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan_Open to dependent undergraduates._This loan is not based on financial need. Parents may be eligible for this loan if their child is a dependent undergraduate student as defined by the US Department of Education. Parents may use this loan to pay the entire cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received by or for the dependent undergraduate student, including grants and scholarships. A credit check will be completed before approval of the loan has been made.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan_Open to graduate and professional students._Students may take this loan on their own behalf, to cover the difference between cost of attendance and all other awarded aid, and should be considered only after applying for Stafford loans. This loan has a federal credit check process.
* The information you report on your FAFSA is used to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). To determine your financial need, your EFC is subtracted from your cost of attendance at university.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.