University of South Florida A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Post Graduate Fellowship for Indian Students
- Full tuition fee waiver and $22000 stipend
- 3 February 2020
To honor the memory of the late President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the University of South Florida (USF) launched the A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate (PhD) Fellowship in 215. The Fellowship is offered to students who have graduated (or are in the process of graduating) from an Indian university in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) program. The Fellowship winners so far are Avijit Sengupta of IIT Bombay, Veena Subramanian of the Indian Institute of Sciences in Bangalore and Arjun Kadian from the University of Pune. All three are currently pursuing their PhD research at USF.
The deadline for applications for the 2020 Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship is February 3 2020.
University of South Florida
- Candidates must have submitted an application for the PhD program in any of the following subjects to USF (https://www.usf.edu/admissions/) and secured a USF ID: Applied Anthropology, Applied Physic, Business Ph.D. programs, Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science & Engineering, Engineering, Criminology, Integrative Biology, Marine Science and
- Candidates must meet all eligibility requirements for the program of their choice. Some programs may require a GRE score; please check with individual departments' requirements
- Candidates must have graduated from or are about to graduate from an Indian University. This award is NOT a combination of Master's degree/Ph.D. You must have already completed (or be in the process of completing) your Master's degree.
- The selection committee will be looking for a student with exceptional academic credentials and experience in the chosen discipline and a well-crafted research proposal.
The University of South Florida will:
- Waive all tuition for a total of up to four years.
- Contribute a stipend of $22,000 that is payable in three installments of $8000 each in the fall and spring semesters and $6000 in the summer semester. In addition to waiving tuition fees, this award covers health insurance and other fees.
- The stipends will be payable by USF once the winner of the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida is enrolled at the university for his/her first term.
All other costs (e.g., airfare, housing at USF, etc.) will be met by the awardee.
The deadline to apply for the A.P.J. Kalam Fellowship is February 3, 2020.
All candidates must have submitted a USF graduate application and established a university ID number at the USF graduate admissions portal prior to submitting the Kalam Fellowship form.
To submit the A.P.J. Kalam application, candidates must scan the following materials and email them to KalamFellowship@usf.edu in one composite PDF (please do not send .jpeg files):
- Postgraduate Fellowship Form (please download the form on our website)
- A brief letter outlining your interest in the Fellowship and your proposed area of study.
- Curriculum Vitae including your current occupation, your academic and professional experience/achievement and evidence of scholarly activity
- Statement on intended research for your Ph.D. degree under the Kalam Fellowship
- Two Letters of Recommendation on academic and/or professional letterhead
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.