The department offers The Statistical Science E. J. Gumbel Scholarship named after Emil Julius Gumbel who made seminal contributions to extreme value theory that underlies many modern designs from flood defences designed to withstand the "100-year flood" to reliability of airplane parts.
Following his emigration from national socialist Germany, Gumbel ended up in troublesome financial circumstances and much of his groundbreaking statistical work was only made possible by generous donations.
To be eligible for this scholarship, new undergraduate entrants to the department need to:
- Take up an undergraduate degree programme based in the Department of Statistical Science at UCL, i.e. be registered as a full time student on one of the degree programmes with UCAS codes G300, GN32, GLN0, GLR0, LG13, G305, G303 at UCL.
- Hold UK fee status (overseas fee paying students are not eligible).
- Achieve one of the following sets of qualifications by the application deadline in the year of admission:
- A-levels: Grade A in Further Mathematics and grade A in Mathematics
- Scottish Advanced Highers: Grade A1 in Mathematics and either grade A1 in Mathematics of Mechanics or grade A1 in Statistics
- Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP): grade 2 or better in any STEP paper
Duolingo English Test
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities around the world.
Take A Free Practice Test!
The award is £3,100 in three equal termly installments per year of study, and is tenable for the normal duration of the degree programme
Eligible students must apply using the application form.
Please complete either the Word or PDF version; you can fill out the form by hand if you wish and submit a scanned copy.