The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) international awards in Netherlands
- 13 October 2020
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Scholarship Programme (or MSP) offers scholarships to professionals from ten countries. The scholarships can be used for short courses, with duration up to 89 days, in the Netherlands.
The main aim of the MSP is to contribute to democratic transition in the selected countries. It also aims at building capacity within organisations, by enabling employees to take part in short courses in the Netherlands. While the scholarship is awarded to individuals, all candidates must be nominated by their employer to be able to participate. The need for training has to be demonstrated in the context of the organisation the applicant is employed by. The training course must help the organisation develop its capacity.
The programme strives to allocate 50% of the budget to female candidates. The programme is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is monitored by Nuffic. The funding application and nomination process for the MSP programme is partially executed by the Dutch institution.
University of Twente
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- You are a mid-career professional (up to 45 years of age);
- You are academically accepted by the UT and have obtained a letter of admittance to the short course;
- You can apply MSP when you live and work in one of the countries on the MSP country list;
- You must have a current employer’s statement which complies with the format Nuffic has provided. This means you will need to provide an employer’s statement. You can find the Word format of this letter here (to be found at the bottom of the list). The employer’s letter should be written on employer’s letter heading and signed and stamped by an authorized person/head of organization. The letter should be dated. If your letter does not meet the format it will be discarded and your application is considered incomplete. All information must be provided and all commitments, which are included in the format, must be endorsed in the statement;
- You must not be employed by an organisation that has its own means of staff development. Organisations that are considered to have their own means of staff development are for example: multinational corporations (e.g. Shell, Unilever, Microsoft); large national and/or a large commercial organisation; bilateral donor organisations (e.g. USAID, DFID, Danida, Sida, Dutch ministry of Foreign affairs, FinAid, AusAid, ADC, SwissAid); multilateral donor organisations, (e.g. a UN organisation, the World Bank, the IMF, Asian Development Bank, African Development Bank, IADB); international NGO’s (e.g. Oxfam, Plan, Care);
- You must supply a motivation on why you wish to be nominated. Please download the mandatory format of this statement from the MSP pages (to be found almost at the bottom of the list). For MSP certain priorities have been indicated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is advised to clearly state your affinity and interest in one of the priority areas for MSP in your country and/or region.It is advised to contact your Embassy on this issue.
- You might be required to submit a government statement. Please check this listing if you are required to do so. Please download the mandatory format of this statement from the MSP pages (to be found almost at the bottom of the list).
- You posses a valid identifcation document (preferably a passport) that is (at least) valid during the entire application process;
- You are not allowed to receive more than one fellowship simulataneously for programmes taking place at the same time.
The scholarship value depends on the duration of your programme at the University of Twente. Please note that the scholarship does not cover all the costs of the study trajectory. It is not a full fellowship.
Before you start filling out the registration form, please read the registration instructions for candidates carefully.
When you apply using the candidate registration form, it is essential to have all required, aforementioned documents readily available. Please make sure you have the following documents at hand:
- Copy of Identity card or passport (valid for the entire application process)
- Employer statement (see format above)
- (Conditional) Admission letter
- Motivation (see format above)
- If applicable: Government Statement
It is not possible to save your application or return to it in a later stage. Once the institute MSP deadline is passed, applications will be longer considered.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.