Talent for Governance
- 100% tuition fee
- 1 December 2017
Talent for Governance is the scholarship programme of The Hague Academy for Local Governance. It provides practice-oriented learning experiences to young, accomplished local government practitioners. The programme consists of
1. a training course;
2. an internship with a Dutch municipality; and
3. access to a global network or professionals.
Through these activities and experiences, young talents increase their knowledge and skills to promote better local governance in their respective communities.
In many parts of the world, local civil servants work under difficult circumstances. The communities for which they work are sometimes characterised by poverty, a lack of basic services, high unemployment rates and environmental challenges. Moreover, their organisations often lack the financial resources needed to deal with these challenges.
Still there are many young, ambitious civil servants that strive for better services and the development of their local communities. Talent for Governance supports them by providing opportunities for knowledge exchange and training so that they can develop their skills and realise their ambitions during a training in the Hague, the Netherlands.
The talent programme will be organised three times in 2018 and each programme will revolve around a different local governance theme. There will be just one application period.
To apply for the talent programme candidates need to choose one of the following programme themes. These themes are based on the topics of the training course at The Hague Academy which is part of the talent programme:
· Citizen Participation and Inclusive Governance – Programme from 5th March 2018 to 22nd March 2018, (more information about the training course part of the programme)
· Local Service Delivery – Programme from 18th June to 5th July 2018, (more information about the training course part of the programme)
· Local Economic Development – Programme from 1st October to 18th October 2018, (more information about the training course part of the programme)
An application is possible if you: work for a local government (not an NGO or private Enterprise. We focus on administrative staff, not elected officials. And although we acknowledge the great work of civil servants like school and university teachers, nurses, doctors, soldiers, police, civil servants at central and state government level they do not form the focal point of this training and internship programme (which takes place in a Dutch municipality), and therefore have no chance of being selected) ;
· work in one of the countries listed on the DAC country list;
· be 37 years of age or younger when you apply;
· have at least two years of work experience in local governance and prove your commitment work there for at least two years more;
· speak and understand the English language well (all programmes are in English);
· be able to write down and orally defend your motivation for the programme and its relevance to your own community;
· be able to identify an issue/project as a real-life case within the theme of the programme for which you will write a Back Home Action Plan during the talent programme;
· have written support of your employer to participate in the programme and to implement the Back Home Action Plan when you return home.
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
Travel, training, accommodation, internship, meals and DSA
Only applications submitted through the online application form will be accepted. You will find a link to the application form on this page at the end of October 2017.Applications will be screened for completeness of the form and basic eligibility of the candidates. – You need to upload a copy of your passport as well as an employer statement according to this format. Within one month after the application deadline, only the candidates that are accepted into the next round will be contacted by Talent for Governance.To apply, you can follow this link: http://fd8.formdesk.com/thehagueacademyforlocalgoverna/TfG_application_2018
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.