Sport and Exercise Science: Fully Funded PhD Scholarship: Philosophy of Sport
- Funding covers UK/EU tuition fees plus stipend
- 13 July 2020
The project may address any area within analytic philosophy of sport. Possible topics include, but are not limited to, the philosophical aspects of:
- The nature of sport (including normative theories of sport and the jurisprudence of sport)
- Values in sport (e.g. excellence, fairness, inclusivity)
- The moral justifiability of sporting competition
- Cheating and gamesmanship in sport
- Feminism and sport (including sex segregation in sporting competition)
- Disability and Paralympic sport
- Youth sport (including the ethics of sports parenting)
- Dangerous and violent sport
- Sporting virtues (including sportsmanship, leadership, creativity)
Candidates should hold a minimum of an upper second class (2:1) honours degree (or its equivalent) in a relevant subject (Philosophy, Politics, Law, or Sports Science).
The successful candidate will have:
- The ability to undertake philosophical research independently,
- A demonstrated interest or involvement in sport, and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We would normally expect the academic and English Language requirements (IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) to be met by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit our website for more information.
Due to funding restrictions, this scholarship is open to UK/EU candidates only.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
This scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees and an annual stipend of £15,285.
There will be additional funds available for research expenses.
Please visit our website for more information on how to apply.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.