School of Life Sciences and Bioengineering PhD Scholarships for Tanzanian Students, 2017
- Deadline: November 18, 2016
Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) is inviting applications from qualified candidates from Tanzania. These scholarships are awarded for pursuing PhD programme within the School of Life Sciences and Bioengineering.
This newly established African Centre of Excellence, CREATES, is aimed at students who are gifted, passionate, creative and free thinkers, innovative, and who will be job-creators rather than job-seekers in the future.
The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania is one in a network of Pan-African Institutions of Science and Technology located across the continent.
Since English is the primary language of instruction, all applicants seeking admission to academic programmes at NM-AIST must possess adequate knowledge of written and spoken English as a prerequisite for admission.
Applicants for these PhD positions should have the following qualifications, knowledge and essential attributes
- Have an MSc degree in Life Sciences or relevant discipline.
- The MSc degree should be recognized by NM-AIST senate and Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU).
- Be able to draft and submit a research proposal concept note with the application documents (including a title, brief introduction, methodology and expected results), showing that they are capable of carrying out original research in the relevant field.
- Be below the age of 38 at application date – females must be maxed 40 years old at the time of application.
- Be able to publish scientifically in high impact peer reviewed international journals (and preferably already have such a publication).
- Have an interest in the above teaching and research approach and be able to work independently and in a team.
- Have excellent English oral and writing skills.
- Be willing to specialize in one of the four CREATES pillars.
- Have a high degree of computer competence and familiarity with the modern statistical software.
- Have the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams.
- Be self-motivated and be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required.
- Females and regional candidates are strongly and highly encouraged to apply
- Applicants must meet and fulfil minimum NM-AIST admission requirement to be considered for scholarship including filling the application form and payment of application fees.
- Applicants with NM-AIST provisional/admission letters and meeting call requirement are not subjected to fill application for admission. They are required to attach their provisional/admission letter together with other required documents
Test your English
Prepare for your study by taking the most popular and most accepted English language proficiency test.
The PhD scholarship programme will run for three years starting in January 2017. All students will receive a partial scholarship over this time frame. A full scholarship will be issued depending on scientific and academic achievements and social background.
All application documents should be sent electronically.
- Applicants are required to provide their Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A one-page abstract of their MSc thesis
- Two recommendation letters, one from their latest employer and the other from previous supervisor / educator
- Certified copies of academic certificates. All applicants holding foreign qualifications must have their qualifications validated and equated by the respective regulatory bodies before being allowed for admissions as follows:
-The Tanzania Commission for Universities in respect of University Qualification Framework (UQF) Level 6 to 9 qualifications
-The National Council for Technical Education in respect of NTA Level 6 to 9 qualifications
-The Vocational Education and Training Authority in respect of certificates in vocational education and training
-The National Examination Council of Tanzania in respect of certificates secondary education and teacher education.
- Any publications they might have achieved
- A max. 2-page motivation letter why they think they should be selected for this CREATES programme
- A 3-page concept note on a proposed research topic including a title, brief introduction, methodology and expected results
- Successful candidates will be required to attend an oral interview
- Applicants must also meet the minimum NM-AIST requirements and must have filled the NM-AIST application form
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.