The setup of the MA programme in Tartu is designed to allow students with different levels of expertise in philosophy to follow tailor-made, fulfilling and productive study plans. Master's students can choose to specialise in one of the following areas:
- Practical Philosophy: ethics, meta-ethics, applied ethics, bioethics, aesthetics, social- and political philosophy, philosophy of education;
- Theoretical Philosophy: philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, philosophy of logic, philosophy of psychology, epistemology, metaphysics, metaphilosophy, experimental philosophy;
- Philosophy of Science: general philosophy of science, philosophy of physics, philosophy of chemistry, philosophy of biology, social and cultural studies of science, social epistemology;
- History of Philosophy: Ancient Greek philosophy, Classical German philosophy, Modern philosophy.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
English Language Requirements
International applicants must provide proof of the English language proficiency (BA, MA programmes; intensive Estonian language course on the basis of English). The following tests with scores outlined below are accepted:
1. TOEFL (iBT) - minimum required score is 75 from internet based test. The TOEFL result must be sent directly to the University of Tartu by the Educational Testing Service. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. If a candidate has ordered his/her TOEFL test result to be sent directly to the University of Tartu, the score can be checked online before the paper reaches UT;
2. IELTS (academic) - minimum required score is 5.5 (no part can be below 5.5). Copy of the test result is accepted as it will be verified online by UT;
3. Cambridge English: First (FCE) - minimum required result is grade C (B2 level);
4. Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE);
5. Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE);
6. Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - minimum required score is 59;
7. Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA);
8. Cambridge ESOL tests: ILEC ja ICFE;
9. Finnish ylioppilastutkinto In English, long course – graded at least magna cum laude approbatur (M) 5.
10. English language test taken at the Language Centre of the University of Tartu or Tallinn University. The test has to be taken before applying, testing takes place only in Tartu/Tallinn, Estonia. Minimum B2 level is required;
11. Estonian state exam in English - minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013 66 points or higher).
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
Start preparing for IELTS today
Tuition fee is EUR 3520/year. Altogether 15 students will be admitted to this programme. Based on the admission’s ranking list, 10 best applicants will be given tuition-waiver scholarship.
Students receiving this scholarship do not have to pay the tuition fee if they complete a full-time study load. Full time study load is completed if no more than 6 credits are missing from the 30 ECTS workload per semester. If students receiving this scholarship fail to complete full-time study load per semester, they have to pay for the credits not earned.