The Nippon Foundation and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation are offering up to 30 postgraduate studentships per year on the study of Japan to students across the UK.
- PHD, Master
- 20 March 2024
University College London (UCL)All Scholarships from University College London (UCL)
In order to be nominated by UCL you must:
- Be either a current student at another university and will attend UCL as a Master's or PhD student;
- Be a current student at UCL and either registered on a two-year Master's and entering year 2 or currently registered on an MPhil/PhD programme and not entering your writing-up year AND;
- Hold at least a 2:1 or overseas equivalent in your undergraduate degree;
- Be intending to study/research any aspect of Japanese studies but particularly politics, economics, and international relations;
- If you are a PhD student, you must be intending to write your thesis on Japan or if you are enrolled on a Master's programme where the primary focus is on Japan, your major coursework and modules are on Japan and you are planning to write your final Master's thesis on Japan.
- You are not already in receipt of a full scholarship from another source. We will also consider financial need.
Duolingo English Test
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities around the world.
£10,000 (for one year, awardees can reapply in subsequent years)
UCL can nominate up to three students for these studentships, which are worth £10,000 and are for one year's duration.
Award holders are welcome to reapply for this studentship (subject to availability and competition) in subsequent years.
You will need to complete the Sasakawa application by 5pm GMT Wednesday 21th March and return to the Student Funding Office.
You will also need to arrange for your course tutor/supervisor to complete Sasakawa reference 5pm GMT Wednesday 21th March.
They will then review your application and, if all eligibility criteria are met, nominate you to the foundation for an award by their specified deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered for nomination.