Daughters of the British Empire (DBE) was founded in the United States in 1909 by Sarah Josephine Meredith Langstaff. Sarah Josephine was born in St. Catherine, Ontario, Canada on April 14, 1849. She was adopted shortly after her birth by Bridgewater Meredith and his wife Caroline Arnold who were visiting Canada. Shortly after adopting Josephine the Merediths brought her to their home in New Jersey.
Sarah Josephine Langstaff Memorial Scholarship
- Master, Bachelor, Phd
- $500 or $1000
- 1 November 2021
This is a scholarship by
Daughters of the British Empire-National
National Society Daughters of the British Empire in the USAAll Scholarships from Daughters of the British Empire-National
- Female students, 18 years of age or older, who are residents of the USA with British or Commonwealth of Nations ancestry.
- Applicants must be a student at an accredited two or four-year college or university.
- Applicants must have a college 3.0 GPA or better (students in the second semester of the Freshman year are eligible to apply.)
- Applicants cannot be a State, Chapter, or Member-at-Large member of Daughters of the British Empire (DBE).
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
Start preparing for IELTS today
- DBE will award four (4) $1,000, or eight (8) $500 scholarships annually. Recipients will be from each of the four (4) DBE geographic Districts (Eastern, Western, Midwest, and Southern)
- Scholarship awards will be submitted by DBE National to the applicant’s college and/or university.
- All applicants will be notified by email of the status of their application by January 5th of the year following the November 1st receipt of their scholarship application.
- Applicants must submit a one-page typed essay with information about career goals and British or Commonwealth of Nations ancestry or heritage.
- Applicants must include a current copy of college transcript with the essay.
- For notification purposes, applicants should include contact information with the essay.
- Applications must be received by DBE no later than November 1st of each year.
- Application packets should be submitted to the email@example.com.