We offer a limited number of discretionary awards to eligible students for one course of professional or vocational training, mostly at diploma level.
Not all postgraduate diploma level courses in the UK are included in the scheme and it does not normally cover those which are:
- open to students who are not graduates;
- not approved by a UK university;
- outside Scotland where a similar course is available in Scotland.
To be eligible for DSA you must meet our eligibility criteria. More information about this is on
pages 3 and 4
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
Start preparing for IELTS today
From academic year 2015-2016, eligible full-time postgraduate students can apply to us for a living-cost loan up to £4,500. To be eligible for the living-cost loan, in addition to meeting our eligibility conditions above, you must:
- be under 50 on the first day of the first academic year of your course of education (the relevant date); or
- Be aged 50 to 54 on the relevant date and plan to return to employment after completing your course
If you change course and are aged 55 or over on the relevant date of your new course, regardless of which year you enter your new course, you will not be entitled to a living-cost loan for your new course.
The living-cost loan is not available to part-time postgraduate students.