QUT Augmented and Mixed Reality for Design and Manufacturing international awards in Australia
- $28,092 p.a.
- 30 October 2020
There is a growing need to explore advanced manufacturing possibilities in response to complex architectural designs. Extended reality is a technology that had seen significant uptake across different industries across Design and Manufacturing. It allows for the creation of a digital pipeline ranging from design to simulation and fabrication. Augmented and Mixed reality more strongly tie in with the physical environment and offer significant potential in allowing Designers and/or Manufacturers to contextualise virtual designs, process improvements and superimpose relevant information on specific sites and structures.
This PhD project explores the use of immersive Augmented and Mixed Reality in combination with haptic and tangible feedback devices to create an applied framework to support design, assembly and manufacturing tasks. The PhD project will be carried out in an applied industry setting with a strong focus on user-centred design.
The scholarship is situated with the Advanced Robotics Manufacturing Hub a world-leading applied research facility dedicated to the adoption of future manufacturing capabilities such as robotics by small and medium enterprises.
Applicants are sought for this scholarship that have an interest in:
- strong skills in Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality
- carrying out mixed-method user-centred design research
- prototyping new augmented environment content & interactions
- a strong understanding of participatory design processes
To apply for this scholarship, you must meet the entry requirements for a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at QUT, including any English language requirements for international students.
You must also:
- have recently completed a first-class Honours degree, a research Masters degree, or a coursework Masters degree with a significant research component from a recognised institution and in a cognate discipline
- be able to take up the scholarship and begin full-time study preferably by February 2021, but before 1 July 2021
- have a strong interest in undertaking a three-year research project on human-centred design and augmented and mixed reality
- develop a research proposal that responds to and aligns with the scholarship topic, that demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of the topic area, and that clearly articulates the contribution your research will make
- demonstrate excellent capacity and potential for research.
Ideally you will also have (not necessary but preferred):
- demonstrated knowledge in the fields of Extended Reality (VR/AR/MR), experience with qualitative human-centred design and participatory design processes.
A scholarship, tax exempt and indexed annually $28,092 per annum for a period of three years will be provided to the successful applicant.
Paid leave is provided equivalent to QUTPRA scholarships. The scholarship does provide a student travel allowance but does not cover relocation expenses or paid extensions.
International students will also receive either:
- an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (International)
- a QUT research degree (HDR) tuition fee scholarship.
This scholarship will utilise a two part application process:
Interested applicants must submit an EOI for consideration prior to applying for this scholarship, using the instructions on our how to apply website.
The EOI must include:
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), including recent IELTS or equivalent score for international applicants
- a two-page research proposal addressing the scholarship topic
- a writing sample (e.g. copy of an article/essay/thesis you have completed).
The EOI should must nominate Associate Professor Markus Rittenbruch as your proposed supervisor, and be submitted online no later than Sunday 20 September 2020.
On review of the EOI selected applicants will then be invited to submit a full application in the QUT Annual Scholarship Round that closes on 30 October 2020.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.