This flagship funding scheme, which is strongly supported by the University's President and Vice Chancellor Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, will offer over 100 elite studentships each year and be underpinned by a core investment of £2.5m over four years.
- ''It is an absolute priority for the University of Manchester to support and develop tomorrow's global research leaders.''
Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell
The PDS Award will give the most outstanding students from across the UK and from around the world a foundation to support research training with prominent academics across a full range of subjects.
Successful PDS Award holders will receive funding for their doctoral studies as well as an additional £1000 enhancement to their annual stipend/living allowance (please note that the awards themselves do not necessarily cover the full cost of undertaking a research degree and the amount will vary depending on the candidate and discipline).
PDS Award holders will also:
- be invited to attend a series of exclusive events where they will have the opportunity to meet the University's President and Vice Chancellor, interact closely with our academic community and network with other PDS Award students.
- benefit from international research leadership under distinguished scholars.
- become a PDS ambassador for the University.
- benefit from our extensive transferable skills training programmes for research students.
- receive a President's Doctoral Scholar medal at graduation
It is an absolute priority for us to support and develop tomorrow's global research leaders and as such we strive to create and environment that allows award holders to excel and reach their full potential.
A bespoke suite of training activities has been developed for all Presidential Scholars which focus around the University's three core goals:
- World-class research
- Outstanding learning and student experience
- Social responsibility
These activities will include advanced training in areas such as leadership, self-awareness, collaboration, public engagement, publication, sustainability and commercialisation.