About the position
A fixed-term 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in Marine Microbial Ecology affiliated to the Department of Natural Sciences, for a period of three years. The position is located, at the present, at Campus Kristiansand. The starting date is negotiable with the Faculty.
The Department of Natural Sciences employs around 55 people including professors, associated researchers, postdocs, and PhD fellows. We offer PhD education in Coastal Ecology, Limnology, Molecular Ecology, and Terrestrial Ecology.
The position is connected to ongoing research on plankton ecology and seasonal variability at a time series station and connected sill fjord system on the coast of southern Norway. The PhD project will be developed with a focus on changes in the microbial communities in this fjord and coastal ecosystem, and the drivers of these changes. Molecular genetic tools will be used to identify microbial organisms and potentially also microbial functions.
- Master’s degree in marine biology, microbial ecology or a similar/related field. Candidates who are in the closing stages of their master’s degree can also apply.
- Written and spoken English proficiency. International candidates that are not exempt from the English language requirements pursuant to the guidelines of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) must document this through one of the following tests with the stated results or better:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum score of 600 for the Paperbased Test (PBT), or 92 for the Internet-based Test (iBT)
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System, with the result of 6.5
A prerequisite for employment is that the candidate is to be admitted to UiA’s PhD programme at the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Specialisation in Natural Sciences within three months of appointment.
Further provisions relating to the positions as PhD Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
- Marine field work experience
- Laboratory measurements related to sea water and plankton samples
- Molecular ecology related laboratory techniques
- Bioinformatic competence (e.g. in analysing genetic, genomic or transcriptomic data)
- Driver's license for car
Personal suitability and good teamwork skills will be emphasized in the evaluation as well as relevant practical experience. Research Fellows are expected to contribute to the active research community at the University. The position places demands on the applicant’s capacity for independent goal-oriented work, ability to concentrate and attention to detail.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
Duolingo English Test
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities around the world.
Take A Free Practice Test!
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.515, code 1017 PhD Research Fellow, NOK 501 200 gross salary per year. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.