Ph.D. by Research at Universitas Padjadjaran : Premiums and Reserves for Natural Disaster Insurance
- Tuition fee, living allowance + benefits
- 17 June 2021
Information: This scholarship is funded by Universitas Padjadjaran - Indonesia.
Subject Areas: Mathematics
Project Title: Model for Determination of Premiums and Reserves for Natural Disaster Insurance with a Cross Subsidy System
Project Supervisor: Dr. Drs. Sukono, MM., M.Si
Referring to the existence of the State of Indonesia, it is located in the ring of fire rings and the meeting point of 3 large tectonic plates, namely the Indo-Australian, Eurasian and Pacific plates. Indonesia is often referred to as the Ring of Fire so that many natural disasters occur, especially earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and landslides. Based on environmental, geographic and demographic profiles, it can increase the risk of natural disasters occurring in Indonesia. This is indicated by the large number of natural disasters in the last few years where there have been more than 1000 natural disasters each year, including in 2015 there were 1,694 incidents, in 2016 there were 2,308 incidents, in 2017 there were 2868 incidents and experienced a very large increase in 2018. 3405 occurrences. This clearly provides a big disadvantage from a socio-economic perspective.
These losses are spread in the infrastructure sector and public facilities such as public roads and offices, residential areas, then the agricultural sector, such as the destruction of agricultural land, to the socio-cultural sector which has a direct impact on the welfare of communities around the area where natural disasters occur. From an economic point of view, the occurrence of natural disasters has a direct impact on the level of the country's economy. To overcome these losses, it is necessary to mitigate the loss of natural disasters. The efforts of the Indonesian government as stipulated in Law No. 24/2007 have allocated disaster management budgets in the APBN / APBD. Unfortunately the APBN / APBD has limitations in funding for natural disasters. The government needs to reform natural disaster risk financing policies to meet the needs of large amounts of disaster funding, on time and on target, more planned, sustainable and transparent to reduce economic losses and the burden on the State Budget. Disaster risk financing must also be able to answer financing needs when a disaster does not occur in the context of disaster risk mitigation and transfer, financing when a disaster occurs (emergency response) and financing after a disaster (rehabilitation and reconstruction).
One of the ways to finance disaster risk that can be done is with insurance services or insurance companies. Insurance companies are called individual risk insurers who participate in insurance. In insurance there is a contractual agreement between the insured and the insurer which is called a policy. The agreement concerns the insurer who is willing to bear a number of risks that may arise in the future in exchange for certain payments from the insured. Payments made by the insured to the insurer are called premiums.
The purpose of this study is to create a mathematical model to determine the amount of natural disaster insurance premiums that must be paid in each province. The determination of the aggregation claims model uses data on the number of claims taken from the number of incidents of each province with a geometric distribution and the size of the claims is taken from the amount of losses due to natural disasters in each province with a lognormal distribution in the 2019 insurance period. Furthermore, the natural disaster insurance premiums for each province are determined using the economic concept of Pierre Picard journal (2008) where the probability of incidence, taxes and subsidies is obtained from simulation data.
- This scholarship is open to candidates of any nationality;
- Applicants should hold a minimum of Master's degree (or its equivalent) in Pharmaceutical Sciences. However, other related discipline with relevant experience will be considered.;
- Age limit: Applicants must be under 31 years old;
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 (out of 4) or equivalent. Academic transcripts are required from every college you have attended for at least one academic year as a full-time student. Your transcripts should be uploaded as a scanned copy or PDF. Please ensure that the degree conferral date and the degree conferred is clearly visible on the document.
- English Language Requirements:
- You need to achieve the minimum scores shown for any of the English language tests below:
- Minimum overall score for International TOEFL (Paper-Based Test): 525 OR;
- Minimum overall score for International TOEFL (Internet-Based Test): 70 OR;
- Minimum overall score for International TOEFL (Computer-Based Test): 190 OR;
- Minimum overall score for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic: 6.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
- Full cost of tuition fees at the Doctoral Program in Universitas Padjadjaran;
- Monthly living allowance IDR 2.500.000 for 3 (three) years during the Doctoral Program;
- 1 (one) time return airfare ticket to and from Jakarta Indonesia (from and to the candidate's nearest international airport);
- Health insurance for 3 (three) years, during the Doctoral Program;
- There will be additional funds available for research expenses for 3 (three) years during the doctoral program.
To apply, please complete and submit the following documents to email@example.com, and address the email for your application as 'Padjadjaran Doctoral Scholarship – Sukono':
- Degree certificates and transcripts;
- Two letter of recommendations. Applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation. These recommendations should be written by people who have supervised you in an academic, employment, or community service setting. Your recommendations should directly address your suitability for admission to a postgraduate program at Universitas Padjadjaran;
- Statement of Purpose. Your statement should be typed, single-spaced and should be between two to three pages. Describe your reasons for applying to the proposed program, your preparation for this field of study, and explain why the position particularly matches your skills and experience, and how you choose to develop the project, which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your motivation for postgraduate study.
- 2-page Curriculum Vitae;
- Certificate of Proficiency in English; and
- Other supporting documents.
If you require any further information with regard to this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.