KAUST Al-Khwarizmi Doctoral Fellowships in Saudi Arabia
- $38,000 p.a., tuition fees + benefits
- 22 January 2021
The King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with support from the European Science Foundation (ESF) launches a competitive doctoral fellowship scheme to welcome students from the European continent for a research journey to a top international university in the Middle East. The applications will be evaluated via an independent peer-review process managed by the ESF. The selected applicants will be offered generous stipends and free tuition for Ph.D. studies within one of KAUST academic programs. Strong applicants who were not awarded a Fellowship but passed KAUST admission requirements will be offered the possibility to join the University as regular Ph.D. students with the standard benefits that include the usual stipends and free tuition.
The proposed research can be within any topical area of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) represented at the three academic divisions of KAUST:
- Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE)
- Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE)
- Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE)
The applicants are advised to explore KAUST research topics before applying. During the proposal preparation phase, the applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the prospective advisors of their Ph.D. projects to discuss their research plan. The lists of the advisors can be found here:
- Applicants must either hold an MSc degree (or equivalent) in one of the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines or be in the final year of their MSc studies. The Fellowship award will be subject to candidates presenting their MSc degree (or equivalent) certificates to the KAUST Office of Admissions in summer 2021 at the very latest.
- Applicants must submit a research proposal following a pre-defined template (see Step 2 of the application process). Only one application per candidate is allowed. Only complete proposals in which all sections are filled with relevant information will be evaluated. Proposals with missing information will not go to the peer review stage.
- Applicants must have demonstrated excellence in their previous studies. A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent during the MSc studies is required. The equivalent of GPA can be calculated for grades obtained in other systems such as ECTS based on various resources available online, such as the tables provided by the OECD.
- The proposed research topic must be in an area represented in any of the three academic divisions of KAUST.
- Applicants must pass all KAUST admission requirements for the Ph.D. degree program.
- Applicants must be either nationals or residents of one of the 47 member states of the Council of Europe (CoE).
- Good command of English evidenced by a minimum TOEFL score of 79 on the IBT (Internet Based Test) or 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). A TOEFL or IELTS score is not required if the applicant received a degree from an accredited institution in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.
- A separate interview may be conducted to assess the applicant’s motivation and good fit for the program and the University.
- The application must be submitted in English before 22 January 2021, 17:00 CET.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
- The Fellows receive a USD 38,000 annual living allowance.
- The Fellows are provided with free tuition, free student housing on campus, relocation support, and medical and dental coverage for the duration of the Fellowship.
- Each Fellowship includes a supplementary grant of USD 6,000 at the Fellow’s disposal for research-related expenses such as conference attendance.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.