Johnson Scholarship Foundation Award Program
- 1 April 2020
Theodore R. Johnson joined United Parcel Service as an industrial engineer in 1923. He later became the first personnel manager and vice president of industrial relations. He retired in 1952. Theodore and Vivian Johnson believed that higher education is essential, not only to the individual but also to the welfare and future of our country - that it leads to better leadership, higher ideals, a fuller life, and a deeper appreciation of social responsibility. The dreams and aspirations of young people to attain what they envision for their future will come from hard work and effort. The Johnson Scholarship Foundation will assist by providing scholarships for those in need. Education will lead them to success and to their goals.
The Johnson Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Program is for dependent children of full-time or permanent part-time UPS employees and UPS retirees in Florida. Scholarships will be provided to qualified students who have an intense desire to continue their education and who need financial assistance to attain their goals.
The Johnson Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Program is administered by Scholarship America®, the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarship and tuition assistance and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or national origin.
The Johnson Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Program is open to children of regular full-time* or permanent** part-time UPS employees with a minimum of one year of employment with the company as of the application deadline date. The UPS employee must:
- Currently reside in Florida and have resided in Florida for the twelve months immediately preceding the application deadline date.
- Be employed at UPS at the time the awards are announced.
- Regular full-time at UPS includes approved leaves of absence with or without compensation for military duty, holding union office, prolonged illness, maternity leave, and personal emergencies.
- A permanent part-time employee is someone who works 15 to 25 hours per week, fills a permanent vacancy and has successfully completed their probationary period. (Union employee – 30 work days and non-union employee – 30 calendar days.)
Also eligible are children of UPS retirees and deceased UPS employees who were employed with UPS and met the stated employee requirements as of the time of retirement or death. Retirement status as defined by UPS is leaving UPS at the age of 55 or older and receiving retirement benefits from UPS.
Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or who are already enrolled in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited four-year college or university, community college, state college, or vocational-technical school in Florida. Students may attend a proprietary vocational school as long as the school is accredited.
Awards for scholarship recipients attending a four-year college or university range from $1,000 to $10,000 for one year of full-time study.
Awards for scholarship recipients attending community colleges, state colleges, or vocational-technical schools range from $1,000 to $5,000 for one year of full-time study. Awards may be used for educational expenses. A small number of awards may exceed these amounts; however, awards will not exceed total school costs. Awards are for undergraduate study only.
- Awards may be used only for undergraduate study at postsecondary institutions in Florida.
- Awards are renewable for three additional years or until a bachelor’s degree is earned, provided full-time enrollment is maintained.
- Community college, state college, or vocational-technical students who transfer with no delay are eligible to continue to apply for renewal.
- Renewal forms will be sent to eligible recipients in December. Renewal is contingent upon satisfactory academic performance in full-time study.
- Start by clicking Register to Apply at the bottom of this page. You must read and agree to a consent statement, supply a unique and valid email address, and create a username and password.
- Correspondence throughout the application process will be by email. Email messages will be sent to the username and email address registered when you created your account.
- Complete the application by entering data in the format described. Proper punctuation and standard capitalization must be used.
- During the application process, you may leave the site prior to submission by clicking Save and Log out.
- Once all application requirements are satisfied, Lock and Submit will be available near the bottom of the Review Application page.
- Carefully review your application before clicking **Lock and Submit. **Once submitted, you will no longer have access to your application.
- It is recommended that you keep a copy of your application for your records.
- You will receive an email acknowledgment of your submitted application.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.