John J. Sweeney funding for US Students at Ulster University
- 30 April 2020
This special scholarship is named in honour of AFL-CIO President Emeritus John J. Sweeney, the son of Irish immigrants, who dedicated his life to advancing the well-being of working people, making outstanding contributions to working people both in the US and internationally which will live on for years to come.
The John J Sweeney Scholarship supports US students enrolled to study full-time on the following MSc or MA at Ulster University:
- Access to Justice, Master of Laws
- Construction Business and Leadership (with management specialisms), Master of Science
- Human Rights Law and Transitional Justice, Master of Laws
- Management and Corporate Governance, Master of Science
- Manufacturing Management, Master of Science
- Peace and Conflict Studies, Master of Science
- Social Policy, Master of Science
The Scholarship will be open to all US citizens who:
- Have been offered a full-time place on one of the above MSc or MA and have made a firm commitment to Ulster University during the admissions phase;
- Are a US union member; or;
- Have a familial connection to a US union member (mother, father, sibling, aunt, uncle, grandparent); or;
- Can provide a reference letter from a union sponsor.
The John J Sweeney Scholarship has a value of $20,000 and that is used towards the Scholar’s tuition fees for an MA or MSc at Ulster University. This scholarship is generously supported by funds raised by the AFL-CIO, the American Labor community, business and civic organisations, and individuals.
Any balance remaining may be used to purchase study materials/equipment, support course-related activities and/or in support of the Scholar’s living expenses and travel costs.
- Candidates must apply via the online application form
- Applicants must ensure that all sections of the application form are completed with all additional requirements attached to the application.
- Scanned copy of original degree certificate
- Where applicable, reference letter from a Union sponsor
- 500 - 750 word personal statement
- Two reference letters
- A scanned copy of their US passport
Full details are included on the form.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.