There are roughly 350 Japanese Government Scholarship recipients studying at Tohoku University. The scholarship awards are as shown below. MEXT also pays the students' tuition fees.
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
- PHD, Master, Bachelor
- From JPY 119,000/month up to 147,000/month
In the more than 100 years since Tohoku University was founded in 1907, the constant goal has been to become one of the world's great research universities.All Scholarships from Tohoku University
- Applications are accepted by Japanese embassies or consular offices abroad (from February to around March). After passing an exam/interview, applicants are recommended to MEXT for approval.
- University Recommendation is a system that allows the university to apply to MEXT for scholarships for excellent foreign students newly arriving in Japan from countries with which the Japanese government has diplomatic relations. This system is generally open only to graduate-level foreign research students (apply around December of the year before arrival).
Duolingo English Test
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities around the world.
Scholarship Awards (for Sendai City)
- Undergraduate Student: JPY 119,000/month
- Research Student: JPY 145,000/month
- Graduate Student (MA): JPY 146,000/month
- Graduate Student (PhD): JPY 147,000/month
There are three ways to apply: "Embassy Recommendation," "University Recommendation," and "Domestic Selection." The first two are open to students who currently reside in foreign countries and wish to study in Japan.