International Summer Research Program for Undergraduate Life Science Students
Each student will gain hands-on lab experience under the supervision of an EPFL Faculty from one of our institutes.
- Brain Mind Instutute (BMI)
- Institute of Bioengineering (IBI)
- Global Health Institute (GHI)
- Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research (ISREC)
The SRP is made up of several parts and the student must participate in each one.
- Two months of lab work (40 hours/week)
- Friday Seminars
- Closing Student Symposium
- Social Events
To be considered for the program, applicants...
- Must be enrolled in a degree program in biology, bio-physics, chemistry, bio-engineering, bio-informatics, quantiative biology, genetics courses or a similar life sciences program and plan on pursuing a career in the life sciences. Basic Life Sciences backgound is essential. Previous lab experience is a plus.
- Must be in good standing with a GPA equivalent to a 3.75/4.0 grade or higher (5.25/6) and should have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework by the summer of 2015. (If your university does not use a 4 point scale, then include an explanation of the your grading scale with your motivation letter. Differences in grading scales will be taken into consideration, but you must be in the top 5% of your class.
- Participants come from the top 5% of their class and have some research experience. Their essays show passion and motivation!
- 1st year master's students are also eligible, but we mostly aim at undergraduates. (Undergraduate means the first 4 years of university training usually towards a bachelor's degree.)
- Please keep in mind that last year, we received over 500 applications! This unfortunately makes the acceptance rate very low. We will announce the selected participants 2 to 3 weeks after the deadline on the SRP site and by email.
After your housing as been paid for, the remaining money of your stipend will be paid in one lump sum. Housing uses about half of the stipend leaving approximately 1,500 CHF to live on. Students have been able to manage on this amount by being careful. It is advised to bring extra money for weekend travel.
Up to 500 CHF for European travel and up to 1200 CHF for overseas travel will be reimbursed atthe beginning of the program. You must have receipts showing the price paid for travel whenyou arrive at the EPFL.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.