With the advances of modern wireless communications, mobile communications through smart phones has become an essential part of daily life. This is an exciting opportunity to undertake a three year PhD studentship to work on the state-of-art researches on antenna development for smart handsets, with funding from an industry partner. This research aims to research, develop and validate new antenna design concepts considering the needs of future mobile wireless communications. The suitable candidate will carry the research at the University of Hertfordshire with regular meetings with industry experts.
International PhD Studentships in High-Performance Antenna Arrays for 5th Generation Smartphones
- Tuition fees + £15,609 p.a.
- 20 January 2022
- a first-class UK honours degree or equivalent in any electrical engineering related discipline
- good knowledge of antenna theory and microwave circuits
- experience of working in Radiofrequency (RF) labs including performing the S-parameters and radiation pattern measurements
- familiar with the EM simulation software packages such as Ansys HFSS, CST, etc
- ability to work collaboratively and manage time independently to meet deadlines
- problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- excellent oral and written English communication skills, including the ability to communicate with clarity on complex information
- good IT literacy
- to be self-motivated
- international/EU applicants: must meet the minimum English language requirements, which include an IELTS score of 6.5 (or equivalent).
- a relevant master’s degree will be an advantage but is not essential.
- publications in high-impact international journals and conferences
- experience in optimization algorithms
- good knowledge of antenna fabrications and good prototyping skills
- familiar with MATLAB.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
The award includes cover for UK home or international tuition fees and a stipend at standard RCUK rates. For 2021-2022 this is set at £15,609. The stipend may be increased depending on the performance.
Applicants must provide the following:
- a completed application form (PDF - 0.25 Mb)
- two academic references to be provided by referee directly to the doctoral college
- copies of qualification certificates and transcripts
- a copy of your passport photo page
- certification of English language competence (minimum IELTS 6.5 or equivalent) for candidates for whom English is not their first language
Please email completed applications to the Doctoral College, using the subject line: PhD student on smartphone antennas.