International PhD Position at Maastricht University
- € 2.972 per month
- 8 March 2020
In cooperation with the Centre for the Social History of Limburg (SHCL) and the Centre for the Regional History of Limburg (RHCL), the Department of History in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers a PhD position in transnational mining history. The project centres around the Domaniale Mijn, a mining company operating between Kerkrade and Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle) on the border of Dutch and German territory. The archives of the company have recently been catalogued and offer a wide range of opportunities for research, also in a comparative framework. Different perspectives, ranging from business history to socio-economic history, and from the history of technology to environmental history can be fruitfully explored. The candidate’s preference and the background will play a major role in the focus and approach that the project will eventually adopt.
Candidates are expected to possess:
- A (Research) Master degree in History or a related field;
- Excellent (passive) knowledge of Dutch and of German;
- Outstanding writing skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
The researcher will be based at Maastricht University, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and undertake a 6-month secondment at the Sociaal Historisch Centrum voor Limburg (Centre for the Social History of Limburg) SHCL, the Netherlands and/or the Regionaal Historisch Centrum voor Limburg (Centre for the Regional History of Limburg), the Netherlands.
Applicants submit an application package for one of the PhD projects. The full application must be submitted by email and in English, by means of the application form, and consist of:
- The application form containing: personal details (including language proficiencies), the LIMES project targeted, and a research proposal and a time plan which responds to the relevant project description (max. 1.000 words) (cf.template).
- Annex I: A letter of motivation stating the candidate’s qualifications and reasons for interest in the position.
- Annex II: Curriculum vitae, outlining relevant work experiences and research output (where applicable). Applicants who have taken a break in their career should indicate this in their application (and in their CV), so it can be taken into account during the selection process.
- Annex III: Ethics self-assessment, based on the standard ethical research principles and the ethical principles of H2020 (cf.template).
- Annex IV: Copy of Bachelor (BA) and (Research) Master (MA) degree and transcript (including GPA).
- Annex V: Proof of proficiency in English (for applicants who neither are native speakers of English nor followed an English taught BA/BSc and MA/MSc); see below for the expected level.
- Annex VI: One academic paper (e.g. course paper; (draft)thesis; academic publication).
- Annex VII: contact information of two references (including e-mail; phone number, mailing address, and relationship to the applicant).
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organisation where people receive an advanced education and scholars conduct exciting research. You will be part of an international network of top universities and renowned scholars within the field.
We offer a 4-year full-time appointment as PhD candidate in one of the research projects under the umbrella of LIMES.
The first year will be a probation period, after a positive assessment the position will be extended with another 3 years.
Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels for PhD students starting with a salary of € 2.325,- with a yearly growth to € 2.972,- gross a month in year 4 (based on a full-time appointment.)
Each year the standard salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
You have to be willing to move to (the vicinity of) Maastricht. You will be eligible for an allowance for moving costs. You may also be eligible for an allowance for alternative housing. Other secondary conditions include e.g. a pension scheme and partially paid parental leave.
You will be provided with shared office space and a PC.
Maastricht University’s Terms of Employment are laid down in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local university provisions apply as well. For more information please see the website.
Researchers may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before 8 March 2020.
Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
(2) LIMES will only consider applicants who have reached an overall average Grade Point Average (GPA) of the completed Bachelor of at least 3.4 and/or completed their Master study with a GPA of at least 3.5 (MA).
(3) For applicants who neither are native speakers of English nor followed an English taught BA/BSc and MA/MSc, the PO accepts certificates from:
- IELTS test: minimum score overall 7.0 and writing minimum score 6.5
- TOEFL test: overall, internet-based minimum score 100 and writing minimum score 25
- TOEFL test: overall, paper-based minimum score 600
- TOEFL test: overall, computer-based minimum score 250
- A Cambridge certificate: C or higher for the CAE (Certificate in Advanced English).
In case of ineligibility, the PO notifies the applicant by e-mail within ten working days after the receipt of the application.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, and (dis)ability) is to our advantage. Creating an inclusive working climate in which students and staff feel a valued member of the UM community is, therefore, a top strategic priority. UM values diversity within its community and encourages you to apply if you are qualified for this position.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.