Graduate Teaching Assistant Scholarships (PhD)
Students engaged as Graduate Teaching Assistants hold a unique position in the University; they are both registered students in receipt of a scholarship and employees of the University. As such they hold two mutually dependent agreements with the University of Kent and are required to abide by the terms and conditions of both agreements, as well as having the opportunity to enjoy the privileges afforded them in each scheme.
The fundamental points about GTAs are as follows:
- Students engaged as Graduate Teaching Assistants are both registered students in receipt of a scholarship award and contracted employees of the University of Kent.
- Graduate Teaching Assistants hold two mutually dependent agreements with the University of Kent and are required to abide by the terms and conditions of both agreements. These two agreements are:
* Scholarship element: _“Terms and Conditions for Graduate Teaching Assistantships” – issued by The Scholarships Unit._ * Salary element: _“GTA Conditions of Service” – issued by Human Resources._
- Graduate Teaching Assistants are required to provide teaching or demonstrating for a maximum period of time over a three year period. For teaching this is 288 hours over three years; for demonstrating or language lectorships where extensive preparation and marking is not required this is 720 hours over three years. Details about the number of contact hours GTAs are expected to engage are set out in the GTA Conditions of Service.
- The level of the GTA award depends on the terms and conditions of the agreement:
* All GTAs offer a gross salary element of £3,455.04 per annum. * The scholarship element of the GTAs may vary: * GTAs may be issued as ‘full awards’ in which the combined salary and scholarship are elements are equivalent to the full UK Research Council rate of £14,057 (rate for 2015-16) and cover tuition fees at the home/EU rate. In such cases the salary element of £3,455.04 is supplemented with a scholarship award of £10,601.96. * However, the scholarship element of the GTAs may vary from candidate to candidate (provided that the base salary element is £3,455.04 per annum) as this is awarded on merit.
- GTA agreements are coordinated via the Scholarships Unit in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Both the GTA scholarship and GTA salary payments are made to Graduate Teaching Assistants monthly in arrears.
- Graduate Teaching Assistants are required to participate in relevant modules of the University’s Postgraduate Certificate for Higher Education (PCGHE) and/or Associate Teacher Accreditation Programme (ATAP), and other training the University decides is appropriate to the teaching or demonstrating required. This requirement is outlined in the appointment letter which forms part of the employment contract.
- GTAs are open to applicants from any country, subject to visa and residency requirements.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
The Scholarship element of the GTA may vary from a few hundred pounds up to a combined salary and maintenance grant equalling the full UK Research Council rate of £14,057 (rate for 2015-16) plus tuition fees at the home/EU rate.Apply Now
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.