Graca Machel Scholarships
Canon Collins Trust seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society.
In early 2015 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. For the next 3 years we will be offering scholarships only to those studying in three areas:
1. Justice,which includesLaw, Economics, Politics and the Environment
2. Education policy and practice
3. Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
Applications for courses that are not within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences, applied sciences) will be rejected.
To apply for a scholarship under this programme you must be:
- A national of and normally resident in one of the SADC countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- In possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- Studying or applying to study at a South African university
Please consult the Graça Machel Scholarships for Women Guidance Notes for details.
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
In 2016 most awards will be valued at R65,000 for each year of study at Masters and PhD level. In exceptional cases we may offer up to R100,000 per year. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, usually in July, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.