General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for Foreign Students in India, 2017-2018
- Bachelor, Master, Phd
The Government of India is offering General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for the academic year 2017-2018. Scholarships are awarded under this scheme annually to international students belonging to certain Asian, African and Latin American countries for pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate and research programme at Indian universities.
The General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) is one of the most important and popular schemes of the ICCR for foreign students.
Medium of instruction in Indian Universities is English. Candidates must have adequate knowledge of English both in terms of speaking and comprehension abilities.
Applicants must go through these guidelines / instructions carefully and fill the applications accordingly.
- ICCR accepts applications only through Indian Missions overseas. Candidates are advised to apply through the Indian missions in their respective countries. No application may be sent directly to ICCR or through their country’s Embassies/High Commissions in New Delhi.
- Applicants are advised to go through the “University Handbook” available with our Mission before selecting course and giving options for universities. Candidate should clearly mention the course and University to which he/she is seeking admission. Courses may be selected on the basis of the subjects studied in high school.
- Applicants applying for doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research. Applications for Casual research will not be entertained.
- Students wishing to study performing arts should, if possible, enclose video/ audio of their recorded performances.
- Applicants are required to give three choices for the Universities they wish to have admissions in. However, in case the candidates are not accepted by any of the three Universities of their choices, they may clearly mention whether or not would they wish to be considered for admission in the Universities/Institutions apart from the three choices. ICCR would forward applications of only such candidates to other Universities offering similar courses as desired by the candidate, who express willingness in the application to be considered for admissions in other Universities, in other cities of India. Applications of candidates not wanting to be considered in other Universities than their three options would be returned.
- Students intending to apply for research courses after completing their postgraduation courses will have to go back to their respective countries, apply afresh for research courses, and come back to the University/ Institution granting them admissions only after obtaining correct visa i.e., the Research Visa. Please note, NO requests for direct admissions to research courses would be entertained in ICCR. NO requests for changing the category of visa from ‘Student’s Visa’ to ‘Research Visa’ would be entertained in ICCR.
Amount/payments made under scholarships are given below:
Living Allowance (Stipend) (Per Month)
M.Phil. / PhD: 7,000
Post-doctoral Fellow 7,500
House Rent Allowance As per actual with a monthly ceiling of Rs.5,000 (Grade – I Cities) (Rs.4,500 )Other cities (Per Month) only if hostel is not available in the University/College.
In Grade 1 cities: 5,000
In other cities: 4,500
Contingent Grant (per annum)
M/Phil / Ph.D. and M.Tech./ME: 12,500
Post – doctoral studies: 15,500
Tuition Fee/Other Compulsory Fee As per actual (excluding refundable amount)
Thesis and dissertation expenses (Once in entire duration of course)
- D. Scholar: 10,000
- For BBA/BCA/MBA/MCA/M.Tech. and other course required submission of Project should be duly certified by Head of Department: 000
Under the scheme students are expected to seek treatment only at medical centre or dispensary attached to universities / Institutes where they enrolled or in the nearest Government hospital: Bill are settled as admissible according to AMA/CGHS norms
To be filled in by mission and attached to each copy of application. Check list for missions
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.