Fully Funded Ospreys in the Community and Swansea University PhD Scholarship: Evaluating the impact of the Ospreys in the Community (OitC) "Sporting Memories" programme on older adults living with dementia
Sporting Memories was developed (3yrs ago) in response to the need for more people with dementia to have social networks and remain physically active. Each weekly session is delivered by volunteers, who provide opportunities for people with dementia (and their families) to talk with others about sport, thereby forging much-needed social networks. Each session also contains physical activities which encourage attendees to experience fun/enjoyment through movement.
The project requires a practitioner-researcher to support, evaluate, and develop Sporting Memories, to ensure it maximises its health, social, and economic impact.
Specifically, the practitioner-researcher will:
- Support the delivery of Sporting Memories;
- Complete an evaluation of the initiative, noting its impact on attendees;
- Utilise the findings and literature to develop/refine the initiative, to maximise its reach/impact;
- Evaluate the iteration of Sport Memories, and develop principles of good practice for initiatives working with those living with dementia;
- Engage with partners to ensure Sporting Memories is sustainable;
- Evaluate/disseminate the health, social, and economic benefits of Sporting Memories.