Fully Funded EngD Scholarship at Swansea University: Forensic Analysis of Weathered Organic Coatings
- Full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend
- May 27, 2019
**Start date: **October 2019
Supervisor: Dr M Carnie and Dr P Barker
Sponsoring company: TATA Steel Colors
TATA Steel Europe is the second largest producer or pre-painted steel in Europe. To maintain this position, the organisation is constantly trying to improve the current product range, either through the development of best in class coatings for the construction industry, improved offerings in service or through added functionality. As Tata’s premium coated products can offer maintenance free warranties of up to 40 years it is essential that the performance under different climatic conditions are fully understood to support product guarantees, new colour ranges to new markets and new climates and new product development for the next generation of painted steel coatings.
The Research Engineer will:
- Support product development with data and advice as to coatings performance, colour performance and product guarantee durations.
- Investigate materials that have been degraded through external or accelerated testing. Many of these samples have been exposed for a minimum of 5 years.
- Use techniques such as Ultra-Violet, attenuated Total Reflection, Fourier Transform Infra-Red and Raman Spectroscopy to determine the mechanism and rates of organic coating degradation and erosion, working collaboratively with TATA Steel Colors’ key paint suppliers.
- Understand how differing climatic conditions and colours affect the coating characteristics using through depth profile and surface analysis.
- Develop non-destructive techniques to assess performance of the weathered samples, such as colour, gloss, blister formation and creep measurements.
- Provide data and recommendations to TATA Steel Colors, on use of product ranges and colour ranges in different climates and markets. For newly developed products, provide supporting data and recommendations of predicted performance.
We welcome applications from candidates with an Engineering or Physical Science degree (minimum level 2:1), or a combination of degree and equivalent relevant experience to the same level, to join the M2A community of research engineers.
To be eligible for WEFO funding, applicants should:
- Be a UK or EU citizen (eligible for home tuition fees at Swansea University) and have the right to work in Wales at the end of their studies.
- Be resident within West Wales and the Valleys at the time of enrolment and for the duration of the candidature.
- Must not be financially able to participate in study for a postgraduate research degree without the award of this funding.
To be eligible for EPSRC funding, applicants should:
- Be eligible for home tuition fees at Swansea University.
- Have settled status in the UK, meaning no restrictions on the length of stay in the UK; and be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the grant, apart from temporary or occasional absences.
- Not have been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. This does not apply to UK nationals and EU nationals who were ordinarily resident in the EU immediately before the period of full-time education.
If English is not your first language you will need an acceptable pass in an approved English Language qualification to make sure you get the full benefit from studying at Swansea. We consider a wide range of qualifications, including the Swansea University English Test, the British Council IELTS test (with a score of at least 6.5 and 5.5 in each component). A full list of acceptable English Language tests can be found at: www.swansea.ac.uk/international/students/requirements/english-requirements
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
The scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a tax free stipend of £20,000 p.a. for a period of four years.
Please visit our website for more information.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.