ESA - Young Graduate Trainees
Are you about to take your finals? Or do you already have your Masters degree in the bag? If so, then you can apply to ESA as a 'Young Graduate Trainee' (YGT). This high-calibre programme lasts for one year and gives successful applicants an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the development and operation of space missions. As a Graduate Trainee, you’ll take on a responsible role in supporting a project, and benefit from the expertise of an ESA mentor.
YGTs gain valuable experience that can qualify them for the many exciting opportunities within Europe’s space industry, renowned research institutes and, of course, ESA. This, in addition to the rich personal experience of living and working in another country and in a diverse and international environment, makes the YGT programme very popular.
Candidates are selected by the relevant department. Recruitment interviews typically take place in February and March. The recruitment date is then made by mutual agreement, and can be any time from April to September at latest, of that same year.
All applicants are required to have a degree from a university or a college of technology by the time they start work at ESA. They must also be a citizen of one of the ESA Member States or from one of the European Cooperating States (see link for details).
Attractive terms and conditions
Contracts are for one year. ESA will provide:
- monthly remuneration (the basic net salary, or 'take-home pay', for a single expatriate YGT is about 2200 € per month depending on the location of the ESA Establishment)
- an expatriation allowance, plus an installation allowance on arrival, for those not resident in the country to which they are assigned
- travel expenses at the beginning and end of the contract (including travel expenses for spouse and children if they reside with the trainee during the contract)
- 2.5 days paid leave per month
- health cover under ESAs Social Security scheme
Towards the end of the training period, trainees are asked to submit a report on their activities and accomplishments achieved during the year.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.