Equity and Merit programme for International Students at the University of Manchester in the UK
- Master, Bachelor
- he University covers the tuition fee in full and the generosity of donors pays for students’ living expenses.
- 1 May 2020
The world’s poorest countries face many developmental challenges, from power shortages to insufficient health services. Their brightest young minds have the aptitude and the will to make a difference. However, these graduates face many barriers in gaining the skills and knowledge required to transform their societies.
Our Equity and Merit Programme helps them to do this. We support academically excellent young professionals from Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania to undertake postgraduate master's degrees that fill the skills gap in their countries. Over the last ten years students have taken a wide range of courses, from power engineering to global urban development, either as a campus-based postgraduate student or through our online master’s programmes.
The University of Manchester
Our master’s scholarships are aimed at talented applicants, especially from disadvantaged backgrounds. To apply for a scholarship, you must:
- have two years work experience not including volunteering and unpaid internships;
- hold a bachelor’s degree with an overall grade of excellent, or preferably a master’s degree. The awards are for academically outstanding students and typically this means that you are in the top 10% of your class;
- be a resident citizen of Ethiopia and have not previously studied outside Africa (training of six months or less does not count);
- be committed to returning home and able to demonstrate the potential to make a positive impact on the future of Ethiopia;
- have a clear idea of how studying in Manchester will benefit both your career and the wider community.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
The scholarships are jointly funded by the University and its donors. The University covers the tuition fee in full and the generosity of donors pays for students’ living expenses, return international air fares and visas.
Applications will open in August 2020 for entry in September 2021.
To apply you will need:
- Degree certificates and transcripts, showing subjects taken and grades achieved. (Temporary copies or certificates of graduation will suffice for this application).
- An IELTS or TOFEL test result.
- Two up-to-date signed references. References must be on letter headed paper and addressed to 'Equity and Merit Scholarships at The University of Manchester'. They don't need to be sent confidentially and there is no fixed format.
It isn't necessary to have an academic offer of admission to apply for the scholarship. There is no advantage or disadvantage in having an academic offer. If you are selected for the scholarship you will be automatically admitted to the course of your choice.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.