Engineering: Fully Funded EngD Scholarship at Swansea University: Interactive Steel Packaging
- Full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend
- 31 August 2019
Engineering: Fully Funded M2A EngD Scholarship: Interactive Steel Packaging for Brand Protection and Enhanced Consumer Experience
Start date: October 2019
Supervisor: Dr E Jewell, Dr D Degenello and Mr R O’Neill
Sponsoring company: Tinmasters
This post will remain open until a suitable candidate is found and we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
Steel packaging is the product of choice for many manufacturers, where quality, integrity and brand status are key.
A highly prized market is global packaging of infant baby formula, which currently has a value of $18Bn in China alone. European brands are held in the highest esteem and command the most market share. Counterfeit material is known to enter the market, sometimes with fatal consequences. Currently, brand protection is applied to steel packaging through covert and overt features during the decorating stage to help ensure product integrity. There is scope for further innovation through the development of interactive packaging using technology such as near field communications, radio frequency identification, quick response codes, electronic sensors and internet of things integration. These provide additional product security, enhance the customer experience, monitor product tampering and provide customer feedback to the brand owner.
Tinmasters provide highest quality steel packaging for leading international brand owners in food, beverage and premium goods. Tinmasters have a pedigree in innovation with ability to identify future customer demands and provide unique technological inspired solutions. The development of interactive packaging is the next logical step in their product and service portfolio.
This project offers the opportunity for an enthusiastic and free-thinking researcher to develop innovative solutions to important commercial and human health issues. There are a multitude of possible research avenues including device design, device testing, device modelling, engineering integration, life cycle analysis, economic analysis, software integration, durability and whole system analysis.
The Research Engineer will:
- Determine the optimum means by which interactivity can be added to steel packaging.
- Develop possible solutions to product demonstration scale.
- Assess the viability of the solution from the perspective of the consumer, tinplate decorator, brand owner and can filler.
- Understand, evaluate and reduce / eliminate technological challenges to the proposed solution at each stage in the supply chain.
We welcome applications from candidates with an Engineering or Physical Science degree (minimum level 2:1), or a combination of degree and equivalent relevant experience to the same level, to join the M2A community of research engineers.
To be eligible for WEFO funding, applicants should:
- Be a UK or EU citizen (eligible for home tuition fees at Swansea University) and have the right to work in Wales at the end of their studies.
- Be resident within West Wales and the Valleys at the time of enrolment and for the duration of the candidature.
- Must not be financially able to participate in study for a postgraduate research degree without the award of this funding.
To be eligible for EPSRC funding, applicants should:
- Be eligible for home tuition fees at Swansea University.
- Have settled status in the UK, meaning no restrictions on the length of stay in the UK; and be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the grant, apart from temporary or occasional absences.
- Not have been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. This does not apply to UK nationals and EU nationals who were ordinarily resident in the EU immediately before the period of full-time education.
If English is not your first language you will need an acceptable pass in an approved English Language qualification to make sure you get the full benefit from studying at Swansea. We consider a wide range of qualifications, including the Swansea University English Test, the British Council IELTS test (with a score of at least 6.5 and 5.5 in each component). A full list of acceptable English Language tests can be found here.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
The scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a tax free stipend of £20,000 p.a. for a period of four years.
Please visit our website for more information.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.