Engineering: Fully Funded EngD at Swansea: Roll-to-Roll Perovskite Photovoltaic Modules
- Full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend
- 12 June 2020
Engineering: Fully Funded M2A EngD Scholarship: Scalable Full Back-Contacted Roll-to-Roll Perovskite Photovoltaic Modules Utilising a Commercial 3D Embossed Substrate
Power Roll Ltd is a technology development company based in the North East of England. It is developing an innovative thin film photovoltaic (PV) technology that is based on 3D patterned substrate suitable for high throughput roll-to-roll (R2R) manufacturing. As part of its scale up development, it is looking to develop R2R deposition of Perovskite into its patented architecture. PRL technology has been demonstrated at +10% using spin coated perovskite into its flexible mini-module platform, but is now in the process of scaling all process parameters to R2R.
The project will be located within SPECIFIC as part of Professor Trystan Watson’s research group. SPECIFIC is a National Innovation and Knowledge Centre led by Swansea University, working collaboratively with Universities across the UK. SPECIFIC has significant capability and expertise across its team and facilities. Capabilities at SPECIFIC relate to the printing, coating and lifetime testing of functional materials and the development of enabling technologies that support the transition from laboratory bench to factory floor.
The SPECIFIC PV scale-up and stability research activity is currently carried out at Swansea University’s new Bay Campus facility and is housed in purpose-built facilities which include a new stability testing and cleanroom printing facility.
- Characterisation of Power Roll architecture structure including electrode and transport materials positions, thickness and properties
- Optimise perovskite formulation to match material architecture of PRLs substrates utilising standard spin coating deposition techniques
- Assist PRL team to develop optimised material architecture based on analysis form IV data
- Develop process for scale up printing of perovskite to adequately fill PRL microgrooves architecture
- Develop optimised post processing of perovskite to accommodate variations in perovskite thickness
- Demonstrate scalability of printing process on large R2R format
- Transfer knowledge to PRL and assist in purchase of equipment suitable for PRL scale up
- Structural overview of PRL substrate and vacuum coated materials
- Small scale samples achieving similar performance results to PRL
- Printing process parameters that give uniform fill of PRL substrate
- Demonstrate full R2R capabilities of printing process and +10% PCE performance
- Transfer knowledge to PRL and assist acquisition of new R2R printing line
We welcome applications from candidates with an Engineering or Physical Sciences degree (minimum level 2:1), or a combination of degree and equivalent experience to the same level.
Normally, we would expect candidates to have met the University’s English Language requirements (e.g. IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit our website.
Due to funding restrictions, this scholarship is open to UK/EU candidates only.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
The scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend of £20,000 p.a. for a period of four years.
Please visit our website for more information.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.