Doctoral Research Fellowship in Popular Music Studies, Department of Musicology, University of Oslo
- Fully Funded
- 1 February 2017
A PhD Research Fellowship in popular music studies is available at the Department of Musicology, University of Oslo. It is expected that the successful candidate will work on an independent project dealing with a topic in the area of popular music research. Projects on remix culture, Internet and new media are encouraged but projects in other areas such as production, sound studies and identity will also be considered. The candidate will work under the guidance of Associate Professor Ragnhild Brøvig-Hanssen.
The person appointed will be affiliated with the Faculty's organized research training. The academic work is to result in a doctoral thesis that will be defended at the Faculty with a view to obtaining the degree of PhD. The successful candidate is expected to join the existing research milieu or network and contribute to its development.
The appointment is for a duration of three years. All PhD Candidates who submit their doctoral dissertation for assessment with a written recommendation from their supervisor within 3 years or 3 ½ years after the start of their PhD position, will be offered, respectively, a 12 or 6 month Completion Grant.
- A Master's degree in musicology, media and communication studies, sociology, or similar fields that offers a solid foundation for research into the area of popular music studies. The applicant is required to document that the degree corresponds to the profile for the post.
- The Master's thesis must have been submitted by the time of application, and the Master's Degree must have been obtained by the time of appointment.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on:
- The project's scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation.
- The applicant's estimated academic and personal ability to complete the project within the time frame.
- The applicant's ability to complete research training.
- Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary academic communities.
Applicants who have recently graduated with excellent results may be given preference.
We offer An annual salary of NOK 432 700 - 489 300 (salary level 50-57), depending on level of expertise. A professionally stimulatinging working environment. Attractive welfare benefits.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.