Department of Respiratory Sciences PhD Scholarship at University of Leicester in UK
- £15,285 p/a + fee waiver
- 1 September 2020
This studentship is funded by the College of Life Sciences and is placed within the supportive and nurturing environment provided by the Department of Respiratory Sciences, the Leicester Biomedical Research Centre and the Leicester Precision Medicine Institute.
You will receive financial backing and the support of an inclusive and collaborative research culture - enabling you to realise your potential. Additional opportunities to link the program to other relevant University groups including the Institute for structural biology and core biotechnology services will be available.
The PhD project will involve identifying and characterising the heterogeneity of circulating eosinophils in severe asthma and related conditions such as Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangitis (EGPA). Eosinophils are a key effector cell in these conditions, however little is known about the heterogeneity of these cells and their contribution towards eosinophilic lung disease. Understanding heterogeneity is important and may enable both greater mechanistic understanding of existing eosinophil targeted therapies (anti-IL5) and the development of new orally bio available inhibitors of eosinophil function.
Deeply phenotyped patients from the adult severe asthma services will undergo detailed profiling of blood eosinophils using a range of techniques – such as multicolour flow cytometry, ex vivo functional assays and transcriptional profiling using molecular methods.
University of Leicester
- UK Bachelor Degree with at least a 2:1 in Biological sciences, molecular biology or overseas equivalent.
- Expertise in multi-colour flow cytometry, RNAseq analysis would be advantageous.
- University of Leicester English language requirements apply (where applicable).
This 3 year PhD Studentship includes:
- UK/EU tuition fee waiver
- An annual Stipend at UKRI rates (£15,285 for 2020/21)
Apply via the website.
Within the application form, please:
- Specify that you wish to be considered for a College of Life Sciences 2021 Studentship
- Include the project title
- Include the names of the project supervisors
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.