Deakin HDR PhD international awards in Methods for Keyhole Coating Damage Treatment
- $31,700 p.a. and tuition fees
- 30 September 2020
This research project is founded by the Future Fuels Cooperative Research Centre (CRC), which in turn is supported by most major players in the Australian natural gas industry. For a detailed list of partners visit: https://www.futurefuelscrc.com/about/participants-and-partners/
The project aims to develop advance low-cost methods for repairing and treating coating defects on underground steel pipelines. Coating repair costs for buried pipelines are an important barrier for the proactive corrosion protection (CP) of these assets.
Even though it is well known that coatings can fail in such a way that hinders the effectiveness of CP and allows corrosion to take place (dis-bonded coatings), operators can only economically repair defects that present measurable metal losses. This problem becomes increasingly important as assets age and coatings systems degrade more extensively, which sets external corrosion as the main reason for downgrading, re-purposing or abandoning pipelines.
Most of the direct cost of coating repairs is not associated to the coating repair itself, but to the required digging operation. This project will develop streamlined methods for local coating repair and treatment that do not require uncovering the pipe. In particular, the focus will be on the development of corrosion mitigation fluids and a delivery method to inject them near coating defects along the pipe.
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Applicants should have theoretical knowledge on corrosion and electrochemistry.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $31,700 per annum tax exempt (2020 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
- International students only: Tuition fees offset for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
Applicants invited to submit a full application should follow the instructions on the How to apply page.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.