The China Scholarship Council (CSC) provides scholarships for outstanding Chinese master's students, recent graduates and young (academic) professionals who want to do a full-time PhD programme at Leiden University.
CSC-Leiden University Scholarship
- 21 February 2023
To be eligible for a CSC-Leiden University Scholarship, you must: • be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application • be between 18 and 35 years old • hold a Master’s degree or be in the process of obtaining a Master's degree • be (conditionally) admitted to the relevant graduate school at Leiden University • have a high level of English language proficiency • have a letter of acceptance for a PhD programme at Leiden University • satisfy the CSC selection criteria Faculty: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
Duolingo English Test
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities around the world.
CSC provides the following coverage: • Living allowance of € 1,350 per month (including health insurance) • Return ticket from China to the Netherlands and vice versa Leiden University provides the following coverage: • Full waiver of the application fee and bench fee for the PhD programme • Full waiver of the residence permit fee • One-time contribution of € 500 towards the costs of a health insurance • Supervision and personal research programme • 140 hours of academic training activities (training in the candidate’s specialism, conference attendance etc.) • 140 hours of training activities focusing on transferable skills (such as academic integrity, giving presentations, academic English, time management, career orientation, entrepreneurship etc.) • Participation in at least 2 (inter)national conferences and/or seminars • Membership of faculty social clubs for PhD candidates • Contribution of max. € 500 towards the printing costs of the dissertation
- Find a PhD position and supervisor at Leiden University. Visit the website of the relevant graduate school for details of how to do so.
- Once you have found a PhD position and supervisor, apply for admission to the PhD programme at the graduate school in question.
- After admission, ask your PhD supervisor (promotor) to write an acceptance letter using the format. The letter must be signed and written on Leiden University letterhead paper: o Acceptance letter format for a full PhD programme (48 months)
- Science faculty candidates only: Your PhD supervisor (promotor) must nominate you for the scholarship by sending a copy of your acceptance letter to the Graduate School of Science . Candidates for all other faculties: Your PhD supervisor (promotor) must nominate you for the scholarship by sending a copy of your acceptance letter to Leiden University's Scholarships Team. The deadline for submitting acceptance letters is Monday 21 February .
- After you have received a confirmation of your nomination, you can apply for the CSC-Leiden University Scholarship via the CSC online application portal between 10 and 31 March. You can find more information about the application procedure on the CSC website.