CERN - Technical Student Programme
There’s no better way to learn than on-the-job. When that job happens to be in a world-famous organisation and centre of scientific excellence, even better. If you’re an undergraduate in Applied Physics, Engineering or Computing and are looking for a practical training period or a place to complete your final project, you could spend 4 to 12 months at CERN during the course of your studies. It’s more than work experience. In fact, it’s a student programme like nowhere else on Earth.
Disciplines represented: Applied physics, IT, mathematics, electrical, electronic, mechanical or civil engineering, instrumentation for accelerators and particle physics experiments, materials science, radiation protection, safety and environmental protection, science communication, surveying, ultra-high vacuum.
- You need to be a national of a CERN Member State and studying in a Member State. Romanian and Serbian nationals are also eligible to apply.
- Students from Non-Member States are able to apply only if they have been residing in a Member State for the last 5 years and are enrolled in a Member State educational establishment.
- You should have completed at least 18 months of your undergraduate studies.
- You can stay for at least 4 and at most 12 months remaining registered as a full-time student.
- We advise students to opt for the longest period possible to make the most of it and increase the chances of being selected!
- You have a good knowledge of English OR French.
The TOEFL® test is a popular option for students to meet the English-language requirements for scholarships.
- 3283 CHF/month (the allowance is net of tax)
- Travel allowance
- Additional allowance for students who are married and/or with child(ren)
- Contract of association from 4 to 12 months
- Membership of the Health Insurance scheme (contribution automatically deducted from allowance).
- ~40 hours/week
- 2.5 days of annual leave/month
- CERN housing service helps finding local accommodation; visa service; social affairs service.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.