CERN - Doctoral Student Programme
Whether you’ve already chosen a subject or are still making your decision, if your specialism is Applied Physics, Engineering or Computing, this is an invitation to further your knowledge in a truly unique organization. In fact, it’s an invitation to get involved in world-famous experiments of unprecedented scale and scope. An invitation to join an environment like nowhere else on Earth.
Disciplines represented: Applied physics, IT, mathematics, electrical, electronic, mechanical or civil engineering, instrumentation for accelerators and particle physics experiments, materials science, radiation protection, safety and environmental protection, science communication, surveying, ultra-high vacuum.
Students specialising in theoretical or experimental particle physics are not eligible to apply for this programme.
- You need to be a national of a CERN Member State and studying in a Member State. Romanian and Serbian nationals are also eligible.
- Students from Non-Member States are able to apply only if they have been residing in a Member State for the last 5 years and are enrolled in a Member State educational establishment.
- You have started or are about to start a doctoral programme at a CERN Member State university.
- Your work envisaged at CERN is all or part of the thesis work required to obtain your PhD. Daily supervision of the student during the period at CERN will be the responsibility of a CERN staff member. The award of the degree remains the responsibility of the applicant's university. Hence in each case the academic arrangements will be discussed between the university thesis supervisor and the CERN supervisor.
- Doctoral Studentships are for 6 months initially, and are normally renewable for two further periods of 12 months. The total period (up to 36 months) may extend over a maximum duration of four consecutive years, whereby periods of up to 12 months are granted as unpaid special leave giving the option to students to spend time at their university.
- You have a good knowledge of English OR French.
- 3679 CHF/month (the allowance is net of tax)
- Travel allowance
- Additional allowance for students who are married and/or with child(ren)
- Contract of association initially 6 months, renewable up to 3 years
- Membership of the Health Insurance scheme (contribution automatically deducted from allowance).
- 40 hours/week
- 2.5 days of annual leave/month
- CERN housing service helps finding local accommodation; social affairs service.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.