Birmingham Research Institute for History and Cultures African Studies PhD Scholarship in UK, 2017
- Deadline: February 20, 2017
Birmingham Research Institute for History and Cultures is offering one full-time PhD Scholarship at the Department of African Studies and Anthropology (DASA). The scholarship will be awarded to an international student commencing their PhD (3 years) or MA + PhD (1+3 years) in African Studies starting in September 2017.
The Department of African Studies and Anthropology (DASA) offers promising candidates the opportunity to carry out research in a centre of excellence in the study of Africa.
The University of Birmingham is a public research university located in Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom. Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century.
In order to undertake a programme of study here at the University, students will need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
- African candidates with a track record demonstrating academic excellence in the Humanities and Social Sciences are encouraged to apply.
- The main selection criteria will be the excellence of the candidate’s academic qualifications and proposal; and the candidate’s potential fit with the Departments main areas of research.
- This is only open to campus based applicants commencing their studies in September.
Test your English
Prepare for your study by taking the most popular and most accepted English language proficiency test. Schedule an IELTS test >
The bursary covers tuition fees and an annual maintenance grant (currently £14,296 p.a.) for three years, or four years if selecting the Masters + PhD programme (1+3 years).
- In order to apply, students must first have completed an application to study. Students applying to an MA+PhD scholarship should apply to the African Studies MA and specify in their statement what will be their preferred topic of doctoral study.
- Applications must also be supported by two references. It is the responsibility of the applicant to forward the reference form below to both nominated referees, and advise them that references must be returned via email.