Amsterdam Physics and Astronomy funding for International Students in the Netherlands
- € 5,000
- 1 March 2020
The Amsterdam Physics and Astronomy Scholarship (APAS) is a scholarship of € 5,000 (for starters in 2020-2021) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (P&A is a two-year programme). This scholarship is for students in the joint degree Masters in Physics and Astronomy only. There are six scholarships available in 2020-2021, one for each track.
University of Amsterdam
In addition to the admission requirements of the Master's programme, eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- The candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply. This generally means an overall GPA equivalent to:
- 3.5 (American system, 4-point scale)
- 1st class honours/ upper-division (British system)
- 8+ (Dutch EC-system, 10-point scale);
- The academic quality of the educational institute where the (under)graduate degree has been (or will be) obtained;
- The quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words), in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme in a broader context and the relevance of obtaining this scholarship for the candidate’s future academic career;
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae, including a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- Proof of English proficiency
Application for the Amsterdam Physics and Astronomy Scholarship is part of the application procedure for the Master’s programme of your choice. On your application form, we ask whether you want to be considered for a UvA scholarship. Please check this box if you want to be considered and if you fulfill all the requirements mentioned above.
Furthermore, you should include a paragraph in your motivation letter in which you explain why you wish to be nominated for the Amsterdam Physics and Astronomy Scholarship, and what it would mean for your future academic career.
After applying, the coordinators of the MSc Programmes decide which students qualify to apply for the scholarship. All students will be informed as soon as possible.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.