20 University of Tokyo Summer Scholarships for International Students to Study Abroad, 2017
- 25 January 2017
The University of Tokyo at the School of Engineering is offering up to 20 Summer Scholarships for international students to Study Abroad. Summer scholarships offer top-class international undergraduate and graduate students a short-term research experience in the basic and translational sciences in our world-leading laboratories.
The program aims to give undergraduate and graduate students from around the world the chance to gain short-term research experience in scientific fields.
The University of Tokyo provides international students with access to a number of financial aid options that cover various forms and purposes, including school expense exemptions, scholarships, emergency loans, and student discounts.
Please note that most of the lectures at University of Tokyo Graduate Schools are conducted in Japanese. Therefore, it is important that all students master Japanese before enrollment. Some Graduate Schools require a Japanese language level higher than JLPT N2. However, the University also offers a variety of graduate degree programs taught in English.
Applicants must satisfy all below eligibility requirements (a-e).
- Undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in a UTokyo partner university or other institution designated by the School of Engineering.
- NOTE: Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least two full years of study in a bachelor’s degree program by the time the summer program begins.
- Strong record of academic performance.
- High level of English proficiency as demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 79, or IELTS overall band score of 6.0 or equivalent (if the applicant is not a native English speaker or if English is not applicant’s first language).
- Interested in pursuing a PhD.
- Have not taken part in this program before.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS.
Stipend: JPY 80,000 (fixed; amount independent of program length)
(FUTI recipients ineligible for this stipend)
Note: FUTI (Friends of UTokyo, Inc) Awards are for students enrolled in US universities.
Accommodation: off-campus accommodation
Travel costs such as round-trip aeroplane tickets from the student’s home country to Japan, domestic travel expenses in Japan, or transportation fees from the student’s home to their nearest airport are not included in financial support for this program.
The mode of application is online.
- Personal statement
- Official certificate of enrollment
- Academic transcript, undergraduate courses (for undergraduate students and graduate students)
Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended from freshman year to the present.
- Academic transcript, graduate courses (for graduate students)
Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended from the first year of graduate school to the present.
- A copy of the applicant’s TOEFL Examinee Score Report or a copy of the applicant’s IELTS Test Report Form, if the applicant is not a native English speaker or if English is not the applicant’s first language.
- Letter of recommendation
At least one letter of recommendation must be issued by a faculty member at the applicant’s current institution who is familiar with the applicant’s educational background, academic performance, and motivation for attending the 2017 Summer Program. Your supervisor must upload your recommendation letter directly to the T-cens system. Please refer to the “how to upload a letter of recommendation” guide.
- A copy of passport If the applicant does not have a valid passport, a census register or other available proof of citizenship should be submitted.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.