13 Giessen University PhD Scholarships for International Students in Germany, 2017-2018
- Deadline: February 1, 2017
Giessen University’s International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC), co-funded by the German federal government’s Excellence Initiative, offers a three-year, structured PhD-programme in the study of culture.
The GCSC supports young researchers with families: appointees with children under the age of twelve are eligible for renewals of up to four years.
The University of Giessen, officially called Justus Liebig University Giessen, is a large public research university in Giessen, Hesse, Germany.
Applicants must obtain a first or upper second class honours M.A. degree (or the equivalent). The GCSC’s working languages are German and English, and applicants must be fluent in at least one of them; knowledge of both is an advantage and should be acquired during the scholarship period.
- They invite applications from students who graduated with excellent marks (from two-year research-track master’s programmes in one of the GCSC’s academic subjects* or the arts/humanities, cultural studies or social sciences no longer than two years ago as well as from students who expect to obtain a first or upper second class honours M.A. degree (or the equivalent).
- The GCSC encourages applications which make a significant contribution to the study of culture in various historical contexts, including contemporary phenomena. An international research perspective, i.e. international study experience, is an advantage.
- The GCSC’s working languages are German and English, and applicants must be fluent in at least one of them; knowledge of both is an advantage and should be acquired during the scholarship period.
- The GCSC focuses its research within the following Research Areas*: Research Area 1: Cultural Memory Studies | Research Area 2: Cultural Narratologies | Research Area 3: Cultural Transformation and Performativity Studies | Research Area 4: Visual and Material Culture Studies | Research Area 5: Media and Multiliteracy Studies | Research Area 6: Cultural Identities | Research Area 7: Global Studies and Politics of Space | Research Area 8: Cultures of Knowledge, Research and Education.
- In addition, the GCSC has established five research groups organized around “emerging topics” that are expected to contribute to the research profile by establishing and strengthening links to neighbouring disciplines as well as to emerging topics in contemporary public discourse. Thus far, Emerging Topic Groups have been established on “Ecology”, “Migration”, “Religion” and “Life Sciences”.
Test your English
Prepare for your study by taking the most popular and most accepted English language proficiency test.
The PhD scholarship period starts on October 1, 2017 and includes a monthly stipend of approximately €1,468 (plus family allowances when applicable). Scholarships are offered for one year with the possibility of two extensions, each of one year. The GCSC supports young researchers with families: appointees with children under the age of twelve are eligible for renewals of up to four years. Acceptance of a scholarship requires participation in the study programme and wide-ranging events offered by the GCSC, as well as active involvement in at least one Research Area and one other GCSC/GGK research group. Doctoral members of the GCSC must register as PhD students at the Justus Liebig University. There are no tuition fees for doctoral students at the JLU, except for an enrolment fee of approximately €300 per semester. All scholarship holders are expected to assume residency in or near Giessen.
The main selection criteria are the candidates’ academic qualifications, the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the GCSC’s research programme. Short-listed candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview. The application deadline is February 1, 2017. All applications (including an application form and further documents as stated on the GCSC website) have to be submitted online.
Sign Up for Scholarship Updates
Get an email every week that 10.000's of students use to get the latest scholarships.