The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
There are fellowships opportunities for students accepted on the Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED. Grantees will be given contract for the full extension of their PhD’s studies (3-4 years). Fellowships will be distributed in 2 categories according to the applicant nationality and previous international experience:
- Category A candidates who come from a country other than a European country (note 1) and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years (note 2) in one of these countries. The only exception to this rule applies to third-country doctoral candidates who have previously received an Erasmus Mundus masters scholarship in order to follow an EMMC (* European country: a member state of the EU plus Turkey , the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).
- Category B candidates that do not fulfil the Category A criteria.
Students with a double nationality that fulfil Category A and B must choose one category.
Students not specifically selected for EMJD-SEED fellowships might still be able to participate and follow the programme as well but on an individual basis. These students need to pay all the fees and participation costs requested by the respective universities.
Note 1: European Country: A Member State of the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
Note 2: The five-year reference period for this 12-month rule is calculated backwards as from the submission deadline for Category A applications by the consortium (all participating universities and associated industry partners) to the Agency (i.e. end of next February).
Monthly allowances in the form of employment contracts will be provided to all successful EMJD-SEED candidates during 3-4 years depending on each individual doctoral plan. This applies to both category A and B students.
The basis of these contracts is that all students selected for the EMJD-SEED programme should thus be able to participate full-time, independently of the personal financial situation.
The financial conditions are:
- Fixed contribution to the travel, installation and any other types of cost: 7500 € for category A students.
- A monthly gross salary of 2800 € (before deduction of any taxes or contributions) that corresponds to a net salary of around 1400-1500 € (to be fixed in the doctoral candidate agreement depending on national legislation).
- Participation costs (tuition fees, supervision fees) and insurance are included in the fellowship. In addition, contribution to e.g. travel to the yearly workshop is provided for up to a certain limit.